Senior english: british literature



Download 27.87 Kb.
Date01.09.2017
Size27.87 Kb.
#30030
SENIOR ENGLISH: BRITISH LITERATURE

Instructor: Mr. Smithmier

Contact: msmithmier@stpiusxhs-kc.com

Grading: Grades are updated and posted on POWERSCHOOL usually within one week of submission of major assignments, except for research paper. Grades are published every six weeks (three times each semester). This is a weighted course using the St. Pius X grading scale.
A Indicates high achievement and an unusual degree of intellectual initiative and performance.
B Denotes attainment well above the average.
C+

C Denotes work of average attainment.



  1. Denotes below average work.

D+ Denotes work of inferior quality, but passing.



D
F Denotes poor work, for which no credit will be given.
Grading Procedures: There is a final exam for each semester which accounts for 15% of the grade. Essays, class discussion/participation, other assignments, and possibly objective tests over the reading make up the other 85% of the grade. Since revision is part of the writing process, all students may revise an essay for an improved grade after conference with the instructor to develop a plan for revision. This option requires conference and instructor approval and is NOT available on timed writings/in-class essays or exams or the research paper.




Grade

Categories



Example grades and work products
This is NOT intended to limit or prescribe assignments,

but to be used as a guideline only.



Weight

In percentages


Process Grades

(Formative)





  • Homework assignments and preparation for class

  • Minor quizzes

  • In-class tasks

  • Grammar assignments

  • Major quizzes over reading assignments

  • Some group tasks

  • Graded discussions

  • Class participation

  • Homework

  • Written and oral class work

  • Pop quizzes
    • Warm-ups


  • Response logs/journals/notebooks

  • Steps in the writing process




25%


Product Grades

(Summative)





  • Timed writings

  • Final drafts of process papers

  • Major tests over entire works or units of study

  • Major Projects

  • Compositions

  • Tests

  • Projects/presentations

  • Research projects




60%


FINAL EXAM

(Summative)






15%








100% Total


Course Policies: Because class sessions depend extensively on discussion and group work, it is important that you are in class both to learn from others and to help others as you express your ideas and contribute to their work. If you are absent, you are responsible for make-up work. You should check the Senior English calendar and arrange with another student to get notes, handouts, etc. If you miss a test or quiz, you need to make an appointment to come in before school.
Because of the busy schedule you and I maintain, you must turn assignments in on time. LATE ASSIGNMENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Electronic submission of assignments, when absent, is expected to meet this requirement. If a student is absent on the day a major assignment is due, the assignment can be emailed to the teacher at school (as a Microsoft Word document attachment) OR hand delivered to the teacher by a friend or family member. If emailed, the assignment will be dated by the time on the email. A hard copy reflecting the same content as the emailed copy (no edits or changes) must then be given to the teacher the day the student returns to class.
Participate in discussions and activities. People who are involved in the daily class business tend to be more aware of the content and processes of the course. Consequently, they perform better on papers and exams. Students who pursue activities different from those of the course (sleep, visit with classmates, work on other courses) usually perform poorly on tests and papers. Moreover, they distract me and other students from the business of the course.
Make your papers as readable as possible. Use the published SPX Writing and Language Standards and MLA format. Readability includes the following:

  • type or use personal computer (all essays are to be typed);

  • if written, use ink and double space. Make your writing as legible as possible;

  • do not turn in papers with ragged edges.

Ask questions. If you have questions about anything on this sheet or about the course, please ask me in class or request an appointment after class. Appointments are necessary; the best time is before school as I will arrive on the days I teach by 6:30. My schedule for 2012-2013 is periods 1-4. I can stay during 5th hour, by appointment, if necessary to consult on revisions or make-up work.


Academic Honesty includes strict adherence to guidelines pertaining to integrity established by the school and outlined in MLA Handbook. All forms of academic dishonesty or misconduct are prohibited and will result in severe consequences as outlined in the school handbook.

Download 27.87 Kb.

Share with your friends:




The database is protected by copyright ©www.sckool.org 2022
send message

    Main page