2011- Zoltan Kohn Professor of Medicine, emeritus, Boston University School of Medicine
Hospital appointments: 1978-1979 Staff Consultant in Hematology, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital
1979-1980 Junior Associate in Medicine, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital Research Associate, Robert B. Brigham Hospital
1980-1982 Junior Associate in Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital; Research Associate, Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, Robert B. Brigham Division, Brigham and Women's Hospital
Other appointments and awards: 1973 Alpha Omega Alpha, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
1978- Board of Fellows, Brandeis University
1986-1988 Member of the Board, Boston University Hillel Foundation
1987-1989 Research Committee of Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation, LaJolla, CA
1989- Who's Who in America
1993-2000 Dibner Institute Advisory Committee, Dibner Institute for the History of Science and Technology, Cambridge, MA.
1995-1997 Faculty Advisory Council on the Natural Sciences, Center for the Study of World Religions, Harvard University
1998-2002 Advisory Board, Program in the History of Ideas, Brandeis University
2000 Confessions of a Medicine Man (MIT Press, 1999) cited by Choice as “Outstanding Academic Title” and awarded First Prize, Allied Health category, by the American Medical Writers Association
2003-2013 Trustee, Tufts University
2006 Phi Beta Kappa (Honorary), Tufts University Chapter
2006 The Gold Humanism Honor Society, Boston University School of Medicine Chapter
2007-2010 Chairman, Academic Affairs Committee; Executive Committee; and Honorary Degree Committee, Board of Trustees, Tufts University
2008 Medal for Science, Institute of Advanced Studies, University of Bologna
2010- Board of Governors, University of Haifa
2011 Doctor of Philosophy honoris causa, University of Haifa
2012 Board of Directors, New Israel Fund
2013- Chairman, Board of Governors, University of Haifa
2013- Board of Governors, Tel Aviv University
BIBLIOGRAPHY Summary: 9 monographs; 13 edited works; 64 history and philosophy of science/medicine papers; 28 ethics papers; 8 papers on Freud; 7 American philosophy papers; 48 book reviews, short introductions, and book forewords; 85 original scientific reports; 23 scientific reviews, letters, and book chapters; 47 scientific abstracts:
Monographs: 9. Tauber, A.I. Requiem for the Ego. Freud and the Origins of Postmodernism. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2013. 8. Tauber, A.I. Freud, the Reluctant Philosopher. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2010. (Hardback and paperback editions) Nominated for National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis Gradiva Award, 2011; Spanish translation, Avarigani Editors, 2013.
7. Tauber, A.I. Science and the Quest for Meaning. Waco, TX: Baylor University Press, 2009.
6. Tauber, AI. Patient Autonomy and the Ethics of Responsibility. Cambridge and London: The MIT Press, 2005. (Hardback and paperback editions)
5. Tauber, A.I. Henry David Thoreau and the Moral Agency of Knowing. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 2001. (Paperback 2003)
4. Tauber, A.I. Confessions of a Medicine Man. An Essay in Popular Philosophy. Cambridge and London: The MIT Press, A Bradford Book, 1999. (Paperback 2000). Awarded “Outstanding Academic Title” by Choice (Journal of the American Library Association) and First Prize, Allied Health category, by the American Medical Writers Association. Korean translation, 2004; Spanish translation, with new Preface, 2011.
3. Podolsky S.H. and Tauber, AI. The Generation of Diversity: Clonal Selection Theory and the Rise of Molecular Immunology. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1997. (Paperback 2000, Tauber and Podolsky)
2. Tauber A. I. The Immune Self: Theory or Metaphor? New York: Cambridge University Press, 1994. (Paperback 1996; Italian translation, L’immunologia Dell’io, Milano: McGraw Hill Libri Italia, 1999)
1. Tauber A. I. and Chernyak L. Metchnikoff and the Origins of Immunology: From Metaphor to Theory. New York: Oxford University Press, 1991.
Edited works: 13. Tauber, A.I. “Philosophy of Medicine,” Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, 51:317-463, 2008.
12. Cooper, R. A. and Tauber, A.I. ”Values and Ethics: A Collection of Curricular Reforms for a New Generation of
Physicians,” Academic Medicine 82:405–427, 2007.
11. Gourko, H., Williamson, DI. and Tauber, AI. (Edited, translated, and annotated) The Evolutionary Biology
Papers of Elie Metchnikoff. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000.
10. Cohen, RS. and Tauber, AI. Philosophies of Nature: The Human Dimension. In Celebration of Erazim Kohak. Vol. 195, Boston Studies in the Philos0phy of Science. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998.
9. Tauber, A. I. and Kanamori, A. “A Symposium on David Hilbert.” Synthetase 110: 1-166, 1997.
8. Keating, P, Balaban, M., Cambrosio, A. and Tauber, AI. “Historical Studies in Immunology.” Journal of the History of Biology. (Special journal issue) Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 317ff. 1997.
7. Tauber, AI. Science and the Quest for Reality. New York: New York University Press and London: Macmillan Press, 1997. (Hardback and paperback editions).
6. Tauber AI. The Elusive Synthesis: Aesthetics and Science. Volume 182, Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996. (Paperback edition, 1997).
5. Gilbert, SF and Tauber, AI. (Special journal issue) “Science and Postmodernism.” Science in Context, 8: 559-655, 1995.
4. Cambrosio A, Keating P, Tauber AI. “Conceptual Foundations of Immunology” Journal of the History of Biology (Special journal issue) 27:375ff, 1994.
3. Gilbert, SF, Sarkar, S, and Tauber, AI. "Symposium on the Evolution of Individuality by Leo W. Buss." Biology and Philosophy 7:461-499, 1992.
2. Tauber AI. Organism and the Origins of Self. Volume 129, Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1991.
1. Tauber AI, Wintroub BU, Simon AS. Progress in Clinical and Biological Research. Vol. 297. Biochemistry of the Acute Allergic Reaction, Fifth International Symposium. New York: Alan R. Liss, 1989. [Festschrift for K. Frank Austen].
Papers History and philosophy of science and medicine 64. Tauber, A.I. Immunology’s theories of cognition: Historical developments and philosophical considerations, History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences, 35: 241-68.
63. Tauber, A.I. Philosophy as self-knowledge, Philosophia, In press.