Essential Introduction to Computers TRUE/FALSE 1. People who use the computer directly or use the information it provides are called computer users, end users, or sometimes, just users.
ANS: T PTS: 1 REF: COM 3
2. Most devices connected to the computer communicate with the monitor to carry out a task.
ANS: F PTS: 1 REF: COM 4
Figure 1 3. Most notebook computers come with a touchpad, a small, flat, rectangular pointing device near the keyboard that allows you to move the pointer by sliding a fingertip on the surface of the pad. Such a device is shown in the accompanying figure.
ANS: F PTS: 1 REF: COM 7
4. A photo printer converts data from the computer into a beam of light that is focused on a photo-conductor drum, forming the images to be printed.
ANS: F PTS: 1 REF: COM 9
5. Magnetic disks use magnetic particles to store items such as data, instructions, and information on a disk’s surface.
ANS: T PTS: 1 REF: COM 11
6. Although CDs have large storage capacities, even a CD cannot hold many of today’s complex programs.
ANS: T PTS: 1 REF: COM 15
7. A key advantage of word processing software is that users easily can make changes in documents, such as correcting spelling; changing margins; and adding, deleting, or relocating entire paragraphs.
ANS: T PTS: 1 REF: COM 19
8. The disadvantages of mobile computers, such as lower processor speeds, poor-quality monitors, weight, short battery life, and significantly higher prices, prevent companies from buying these computers for their staffs even today.
ANS: F PTS: 1 REF: COM 24
9. Passive-matrix screens display high-quality color that is viewable from all angles.
ANS: F PTS: 1 REF: COM 32
10. Smart phones with monochrome screens typically have a much shorter battery life than Pocket PC devices with color screens.
ANS: F PTS: 1 REF: COM 38
MODIFIED TRUE/FALSE 1. Computers perform four basic operations — input, process, output, and communication. _________________________
ANS: F, storage
PTS: 1 REF: COM 3
2. With a(n) mouse, you control the movement of the pointer on the screen and make selections from the screen. _________________________
ANS: T PTS: 1 REF: COM 7
3. Backup is the process of dividing the disk into tracks and sectors. _________________________