A premier institution of teaching and research in languages, social sciences and the humanities, the Faculty of Arts, owes its genesis to The Baroda College, established in 1881 by H. H. Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad – III of the erstwhile Baroda State. The Faculty is sanctified by the name of the seer and philosopher, Sri Aurobindo Ghosh, who had been appointed by Sir Sayajirao to teach English and also as the Vice-Principal of the erstwhile Baroda College.
The alumni of the erstwhile Baroda College and the present Faculty of Arts included well-known personalities like Acharya Vinoba Bhave, Shri Rang Avadhoot, Shri Mota, Shri K. M. Munshi, Kakasaheb Kalelkar, Shri Rajendra Shah, Dr. M. N. Srinivas, Dr. B. Subbarao, Dr. I. G. Patel, Dr. V. Y. Kantak, Dr. Suresh Joshi, Dr. Sitanshu Yashashchandra and others.
The founding vision of the Faculty was charted, realized, and furthered by eminent academicians and stalwarts in different disciplines, and it remains committed, through its sustained efforts, to the enhancement of this rich tradition as well as the expectations and demands of the present day changing environment. Among other institutions in the region, the position of the Faculty of Arts is distinguished by the wide variety of disciplines in which it imparts training and knowledge.
The Faculty has always endeavoured to establish a network of intellectuals with a view to contributing to the cause of knowledge and imparting education, responsive to the changes taking place in the field of knowledge and technology, to encourage multi and interdisciplinary research, to introduce and develop courses, bringing them in line with contemporary theoretical developments and also relate them to societal concerns and issues. It also attempts at promoting and developing educational opportunities in tandem with the demands of social justice.
In an endeavour to bringing all its Programmes in line with the proposed uniform pattern all over the state and the country, with effect from the Academic Year (2011-2012), the Faculty of Arts introduced a Choice Based Credit System (CBCS), initiated by the National Knowledge Commission, University Grants Commission and the Association of Indian Universities.
02. Programmes of Studies
The Faculty encompasses a variety of disciplines from Social Sciences, Humanities, Indian and Foreign Languages. The Faculty, as per the constitution of the University, has English as the medium of instruction and awards the following degrees and certificates: Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Philosophy, Master of Arts, Master of Library and Information Science, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Library and Information Science, Post-Graduate Diploma, Under Graduate Post-Diploma, Undergraduate Diploma, Certificate of Proficiency, Shastri, Visharad and Acharya. However, the Departments of Languages and Literatures do also impart training through their respective target languages.
The Faculty at the current juncture enables the learners to choose from a wide and varying range of disciplines with a measure of inter-and-multi-disciplinarity, built into the course structures and while enrolling students into various Programmes of Studies, tries to accommodate a maximum number of students with a view to providing them with a chance for higher studies and individual choice in their fields of interest and aptitude.
The following subjects are taught and their corresponding Degrees / Diplomas are awarded:
Subject / Discipline:
Degrees / Diplomas awarded:
Archaeology and Ancient History
B.A., M.A. Ph.D.
B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Self Financing Programmes
B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
B.A., M.A. Ph.D.
B.A., M.A., Diploma, Post-Diploma
B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Certificate and Diploma
B.A. (Allied, Foundation and Interdisciplinary Courses), Certificate and Diploma
B.A. (Allied, Foundation and Interdisciplinary Courses)
B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
B.A., M.A., Certificate, Diploma, Post-Diploma
B.A., Pre-Certificate, Diploma, Post-Diploma
Sanskrit, Pali and Prakrit
B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
B.A. (Allied, Foundation and Interdisciplinary Courses)
B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
B.A. (Allied Courses)
*These subjects are offered by other faculties, students pursuing studies in the Faculty of Arts can also opt for them.
03. Departments and Teaching Faculty: THE DEPARTMENTS UNDER THE FACULTY OF ARTS Department of Archaeology and Ancient History Founded in 1953 under the leadership of Dr. B. Subbarao, the Department has contributed extensively towards understanding the culture of Gujarat in particular and India in general through an interdisciplinary approach. A large number of ancient settlements belonging to different periods of Prehistory and History have been studied by the Department through explorations and excavations.
The outstanding achievements of the Department include excavations at Devnimori, Champaner, Zawar, Pazhayannur, Machad, Nageswar, Nagwada, Pavijetpur, Ambakut, Tarsang, Pithad and Bagasara. Currently the Department is working at Shikharpur. One of its pride collections includes the sacred relics of Lord Buddha. The department has been identified as one of the major centers in the country for research in archaeology and has received grants from the Ford Foundation, and very recently, the UGC has granted Special Assistance Program (SAP), under its DRS scheme.
The Department also has an excellent reference library, laboratories for Ceramic Petrology, Sedimentology, Zoo-archaeology, Archaeological Chemistry and Conservation, drawing and photographic sections and a world-class Departmental Museum. The outstanding publications of the formerly Faculty Members from the Department include Baroda Through the Ages, Personality of India, Formative Stages of Indian Civilisation and The Palaeogeography and Prehistoric Archaeology of the Great Indian Desert. The Department also has field equipments and camping facility.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Prof. K. Krishnan (Head)
Prof. Ajithprasad P.
Dr. Sushmita Sen
Mr. S. Pratapchandran
Department of Economics Established in 1949, the Department of Economics was honored with the establishment of the I.P.C.L. Centre for Studies in National and International Industrial Development in 1977. It was also recognized as a Department for Special Assistance in 1985 and was granted the IV Phase (2002 – 2007). A Centre for Research in Planning and Development of the Planning Commission was established in April 1995.
The Department received a grant of Rs. 5 lacs from the Canara Bank to purchase books and journals on ‘Money and Finance’ and a grant of Rs. 1.5 lacs from the World Bank to purchase books on ‘Environmental Economics’. The Department was also recognized by the UGC Assistance for Strengthening of Infrastructure for Humanities and Social Sciences (ASIHSS) Programme and received a grant of Rs. 45 lacs and a Project Fellow for the period 2005-06 to 2009-10.
Apart from the UG, PG and Ph.D. programmes, the Department also offers a Self-financing P.G. Diploma Programme in Applied Corporate Finance. The Department runs the Economic Society of the Faculty of Arts for the benefit of the students of the Department.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Prof. Arti Nanavati (Head)
Prof. Bhavna Kantawala
Prof. Umesh Naik
Prof. Sanjeev Joshi
Prof. A. S. Rao
Dr. Sarah Ahmed
Dr. Ashir Mehta
Department of English Founded in 1949, the Department owes its genesis to the Baroda College (1881). Besides being the largest department in the Faculty of Arts, it caters to the English needs across faculties of the University. The Department has been awarded the UGC SAP-DRS.
It has been identified as one of the major centres in Western India for conducting Refresher Courses in English. It has successfully conducted 2 of them since 2002. The Department is proud to be at the forefront of innovative and challenging courses in English Studies.
The Department organizes Seminars, Conferences, Workshops, and Symposia on a regular basis. It is also associated with inter-disciplinary intellectual activities with various faculties within the University.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Prof. Sudha Pandya (Offg. Head)
Dr. Deeptha Achar
Dr. Sachin Ketkar
Dr. Madhurita Choudhary
Ms. Utpala Mehta
Mr. G. Venkateswarlu
Dr. Aditi Vahia
Dr. Neeti Singh
Dr. Rajan Barrett
Ms. Madhu Kevlani
Ms. Chaitali Vaishnav
Department of German The teaching of German started at the Faculty of Arts from 1960-61 with the help of teaching faculties from Germany and it achieved the status of a statutory department in 1983. This is the only Department in the entire state of Gujarat, where German is offered at PG, UG and Part-Time Levels. It is one of the eight premier institutions of German Studies in India at the PG level. As a part of its curriculum it offers courses in German Language, Literature, German for Science and Technology and Business German, General Information on German speaking countries, Literary Criticism, Linguistics and Didactics, Tourism. The Department has organized and co-organized many National and International Seminars.
The Department invites professors, eminent scholars, authors, experts of language and literature from India and German speaking countries. Since 1997 the Department is also offering separate courses on Austrian, Swiss and Migrant Literature and it promotes European perspective of German Literature. The faculties of the Department have been and are members of many academic bodies and associations. The Department has collaborations with Universities and Colleges in Germany and Austria, under which exchange programmes between students and teaching faculties are organized regularly. The teaching faculties and students of the Department have been awarded fellowships for research and academic growth by various German Institutions, like the Goethe Institute, German Academic Research Service, Pro Helvetia and Austrian Ministry for Education and Culture to visit Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Ms. Jyotsna Phanse (Teacher In-charge)
Ms. Pratibha Thakur
Department of Gujarati Established in 1951, the Department of Gujarati, is known for the two well-known faculties, Prof. Bhogilal Sandesara, an eminent philologist and a scholar of medieval Gujarati Literature and Prof. Suresh Joshi, a well-known creative writer and critic of modern times in later years. The Department is the largest in the State comprising well known scholars, creative writers, editors, translators and critics as members of the faculty.
The Department is proud of former Head of the Department, Prof. Sitanshu Yashschandra – the Emeritus Professor and a prolific writer who has been honored with Padmashree.
The tradition of its illustrious alumni and teachers continues even today. The Department has been awarded UGC-DRS Programme (2009 – 2014). The Department has a very good collection of nearly 500 old manuscripts and also has two publication series: Prof. B. K. Thakor series and Sayajivijay Granthmala.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Prof. Dipak Rawal (Head)
Prof. Nita Bhagat
Dr. Bharat Mehta
Dr. Rajesh Pandya
Dr. Pundalik Pawar
Dr. Darshini Dadawala
Dr. Bharat Pandya
Dr. Shakeel Kadri
Department of Hindi Established in 1955, the Department of Hindi is one of the largest departments in the Faculty in terms of students’ strength. Well known researchers, critics, poets like Prof. Bhatnagar, Prof. C. P. Singh, Prof. M. G. Gupta have extended invaluable contributions in the development of the Department.
The Department stands for Indian Culture, emphasising on research on various aspects of Literature in Hindi which includes comparative studies in Indian Languages and Literature. The Department at the present has many research scholars and well known creative writers.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Prof. Daxa Mistry (Offg. Head)
Prof. Shailja Bhardwaj
Dr. O. P. Yadav
Dr. K. V. Ninama
Dr. Kalpana Gavli
Dr. Shanno Pandey
Dr. N. S. Parmar
Dr. M. P. Pandey
Dr. Anita Shukla
Dr. Dipendra Jadeja
Dr. Manisha Thakkar
Dr. Lata Sumant
Dr. Azhar Deheriwala
Department of History Founded in 1949, the department of History received a UGC Special Assistance Programme during the VIth Plan period. Emphasis is given to the teaching of medieval and modern Indian History and researches in medieval archaeology, art, architecture, epigraphy and numismatics using foreign and domestic sources. Researches encompass the socio-economic history of Western India with special emphasis on the process of urbanization. The Department has a large collection of documents in Modi script acquired from the prominent banking houses; the Haribhakti and Shamal Bechar. Besides these, there are numerous other documents and sources in Persian and English pertaining to the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries respectively. The Department is working towards developing an archival cell for the same. A grant has been received for this purpose under the UGC XI Plan. The archival cell is currently involved in digitalization of these documents and creating database on the economy and business culture and institutions in Western India with particular reference to Gujarat.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Dr. Adhya Saxena (Head)
Dr. Iftikhar A. Khan
Dr. Vibhuti P. Parikh
Dr. Aruna Awasthi
Mr. Dilip Kataria
Ms. Maitree Vaidya
Department of Library & Information Science Established in 1956, the Department of Library and Information Science offers Bachelors, Masters and Ph. D. degrees in Library and Information Science. The Department envisions to develop itself as a model centre to learn the application of Information Technology which is extremely essential for the overall development of the society. This department has been generating professionals, who are in demand in academic, research and industrial libraries in India. Its alumni are also working abroad. This was the first Department of Library Science in Gujarat from where students qualified NET conducted by the UGC.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Dr. Sanghamitra Pradhan*
*Temporary appointments during the AY 2015-2016
Department of Linguistics Instituted in 1964, the Department of Linguistics offers general and specialized courses in linguistics at the UG and PG levels. Through its inter-disciplinary course structure and research work, the Department has contributed towards various other fields, such as Anthropology, Psychology, Translation Studies and Language Technology.
The Department has been organizing regular workshops at the national level, in collaboration with various institutions such as the Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore, Language Technologies Research Centre, IIIT, Hyderabad, Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Tirupathi, the Resource Centre for Indian Language Technology, Gujarat, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara, towards promoting and developing language technology applications. For many years the Department has been organizing academic activities like field trips, monthly Colloquia as well as lectures and courses by internationally renowned visiting scholars and professors.
As the science of languages, linguistics originated in ancient India and now has developed as an advanced theory of language capacity with powerful applications. It has branches like Formal linguistics, psycholinguistics, neurolinguistics, computational linguistics, sociolinguistics, applied linguistics, and others.
The study of linguistics would be beneficial to students from various disciplines such as Language and Literature Studies, and also Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy and Education.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Mr. Ajay Sarvaiya (Teacher In-charge)
Ms. Mona Parakh
Department of Marathi Established in 1949, the Department of Marathi is one of the oldest of its kind in the country. It offers Programmes both at UG and PG levels and also a Ph.D. programme. Teaching of Marathi was initiated by the late Maharaja Sayaji Rao Gaekwad III, in the erstwhile Baroda College in 1880. The courses have been designed so as to meet the requirements of the contemporary times. Seminars and lectures organized by the Department have contributed to the development of Marathi Literature.
The city has a sizeable population of Marathi speaking community. The Department in the University has, therefore, received much importance to impart training in the field.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Dr. Mrinalini Kamath (I/C Head)
Dr. Sanjay Karandikar
Dr. Vanita Thakur
Department of Persian, Arabic & Urdu Established in 1881, the department offers Programmes in the three languages and their literatures.
Persian is taught since the Baroda College days and today the Department offers courses at UG, PG and Ph.D. levels. The thrust areas are Classical and Modern Persian language and Literatures, as well as Persian Literatures produced in India, especially in Gujarat. Persian is also taught at Certificate and Diploma levels.
This is the only university in Gujarat that the UGC has provided special facilities for Arabic teaching at FYBA, SYBA and Ph. D. levels. The thrust areas of Arabic are Modern Arabic Language and Literature and Arabic Phonology. Modern Arabic is also taught at Certificate and Diploma levels.
Urdu is one of the rich languages of our country. It is taught here at FYBA, SYBA and Ph.D. levels. The thrust areas are Urdu literature in Gujarat and Modern Urdu Literature.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Prof. Wajeehuddin (Head)
Department of Philosophy Established in 1949, the Department of Philosophy has significantly contributed towards teaching and spreading awareness of Philosophy in the context of rich Indian cultural heritage and contemporary trends in the East and West. The department offers UG, PG and Ph.D. Programmes. For the last many years the Department has recorded a considerable and consistent increase in the number of students in all its classes. The major research areas are Ethico-Spiritual Tradition of Indian thought, Comparative Religion and Western Philosophy.
The Department houses “Sri Aurobindo Centre for Reading”, inaugurated on February 21, 2003 and has been made open to the students for academic and co-curricular activities.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Prof. TS Girishkumar
Department of Political Science Established in 1954, the Department of Political Science from the very beginning attracted the best talent among teachers and students. Many illustrious faculty members of the Department such as Rajni Kothari, Bhikhu Parekh, A.H. Somjee, C.N. Bhalerao, K.S. Desai, A.P. Rana, Anil Bhatt and Thomas Pantham brought national and international fame to the institution. In June 1984, the Department became the first in the country to be brought under the University Grants Commission’s Special Assistance Programme. In 1988, the Ford Foundation sanctioned a prestigious grant to the Department for the advancement of teaching and research in International Relations Studies. In subsequent phases, other areas such as Political Theory, Public Administration and Indian Government & Politics were recognized for such support.
The Department is privileged in enrolling students from all the regions of India as well as several countries of Asia and Africa. The students periodically organize various extra-curricular activities like debates, group discussions as well as cultural evenings. Several students have earned M. Phil. and Ph.D. degrees. The Department was awarded a grant of Rs. 33.80 lacs for three years (1-4-2004 to 31-3-2007) under the UGC Assistance for Strengthening of Infrastructure for Humanities and Social Sciences (ASIHSS) Programme. For last 2-3 years, the faculties of the Department are totally devoted to phasing out the annual system and introducing Choice Based Credit System at UG, PG and Ph.D. level. This has expanded the scope for offering several new academic programs/courses.
:Members of the Teaching Faculty: Prof. Lajwanti Chatani (Head)