Smartphones and Mobile Phone Technology
Navigate this page:
and Mobile Phone Technology
Andrew Chang, Naeun Choi, Nicholas Delrose, Charlotte Gilmore,
What are we talking about??
The world is flat!
Bringing people together.....?
Changing the way things work.
"Text messages are like
little sugar rushes of contact
, postcards from the people's cyberspace, the real reason God gave us thumbs and the capacity for language"
- The first official mobile phone used in Sweden by the Swedish police in 1946; could make 6 phone calls before car's battery was drained
- development of first cell phone (creation of towers/cells at Bell Labs in 1947
- 1983 Motorola DynaTAC 8000X made commercially available: 2 lbs, $3,500
- 1991 Motorola MicroTac Lite the lightest phone: $1,000
- 2nd generation: from the early 1990's
- smaller, better batteries, huge increase in popularity
- 3rd generation: include 2 Megabits of maximum data rate indoors and 384
kbits for outdoor use
- include internet access and other modern innovations
- 1993 IBM developed first smartphone, Simon
- Smartphones provide portable use of IT
- Entertainment Uses:
games, music (mp3 player), books (e-book), and digital television broadcast
- Social Uses:
, text message, wireless internet (access to e-mail, social networking websites)
- Organization Uses: calendar, finance manager,
, storage for data
- Hospital Uses: used to view image (x-ray, MRI, etc).
means of communication between nurses and clinicians.
- Museum Uses: audio guide is provided through cell phones.
- China: mobile learning provides access to lectures and test preps.
Mobile technology is key to keeping in touch in the modern world.
Smart Phones aren't only used for communication, but for organizing schedules,
jotting down notes
, playing music, games, checking the weather, and other applications.
Cell Phones "revolutionized long distance calling", making it much more inexpensive for long distance communication.
Cell phone logs have also been helpful in court cases where they can be used as evidence. (You may also consider this a disadvantage)
- negative health affects (increases resting blood pressure, reduces production of melatonin, related to Altzeimers's Disease, linked to cancer)
- increased stress level (fatigue,
, difficulty in concentration, disturbance in sleep)
- male infertility
- effect on children; the "blackberry father"
- risk in driving
- effects on language
Mobile technology and smart phones play a major role in every day life, and their importance is expected to continue, and even increase in the future.
"The Benefits of Cell Phones."
Cell Phone and Wireless Service Plan Buying Guide
(2008) 20 Sep 2008
"Mobile Phone Exposure Causes Brain Damage in Rats."
. 1-29-03. 9-19-08.
"Excessive Mobile Phone Use Affects Sleep In teens, Study Finds."
. 6-9-08. 9-19-08.
"Is Txt Mightier Than the Word."
. 3-4-03. 9-19-08.
"7 Disadvantages of Cell Phones."
. 4-17-08. 9-19-08.
user -> Could you imagine life without color, personal freedom and love? It may seem strange to you but in the book
user -> Senior essay
user -> Structure for a Paragraphs for Paragraph Assignments
user -> First Impressions Essay
user -> Five Paragraph Essay: Basic Parts
user -> Why did the us fail to win the Vietnam War? What background knowledge should I use?
user -> Rhetorical Analysis #1: Night
user -> Writing the Analytical Essay What does it mean to analyze?
user -> Lca committee Meeting Minutes Sunday 2nd March 2014 at 7: 00pm in Memorial Hall, Lisvane
user -> Face to Face Teaching in Distance Education a literature and case study review Ormond Simpson
Share with your friends:
The database is protected by copyright ©www.sckool.org 2023