3. How do we make sense of our world? Some thoughts on identity
Man is a meaning making being. Children always asking why. Always wanting to understand causality
4. How do we make sense of ourselves? If someone asked you to tell them about yourself what would you say? Nationality Physical statistics Religion Job Story
We reveal ourselves by telling stories about ourselves. Our identity is constructed as a narrative.
Parents, grandparents, research. Ancestry
Judaism, Christianity, Moonie
5. Why stories? Man is essentially a story-telling animal. He becomes through his history, a teller of stories that aspire to truth. But the key question for men is not about their authorship; I can only answer the question 'What am I to do?' if I can answer the prior question 'Of what story or stories do I find myself a part?' We enter human society with one or more imputed characters - roles into which we have been drafted - and we have to learn what they are in order to be able to understand how others respond to us and how our responses to them are apt to be misconstrued. Alasdair Macintyre, After Virtue, 1985
6. It is through hearing stories about wicked step-mothers, lost children, good but misguided kings, wolves that suckle twin boys, oldest sons who receive no inheritance but must make their own way in the world and youngest sons who waste their inheritance on riotous living and go into exile to live with the swine, that children learn or mis- learn both what a child and what a parent is, what the cast of characters may be in the drama into which they have been born and what the ways of the world are. Deprive children of stories and you leave them unscripted, anxious stutterers in their actions as in their words. Hence there is no way to give us an understanding of any society, including our own, except through the stock of stories which constitute its initial dramatic resources.
7. Which stories? Bible stories Adam and Eve Cain and Abel Abraham’s family Moses and the Israelites Jesus Why the Bible? Central thread of God’s providence Reveals the heart and character of God Father’s scripture
Are fairy stories true?
Very important which stories constitute a community
8. What kind of story is Adam and Eve? All cultures, religions, political philosophies etc. have myths A myth is a sacred narrative in the sense that it holds religious or spiritual significance for those who tell it, and it contributes to and expresses systems of thought and values. Use of the term by scholars implies neither the truth nor the falseness of the narrative. To the source culture, however, a myth by definition is "true", in that it embodies beliefs, concepts, and ways of questioning and making sense of the world. May or may not have a historical basis
9. Alternative myths Norse myths – Asgard Virtues Greek myths Hesiod’s cosmogony Prometheus – gods are hostile to humans Fate – no free will Good and evil woven into fabric of the universe Most myths support status quo Values of myths become embedded in cultural assumptions
He begins with Chaos, a yawning nothingness. Out of the void emerged Gaia (the Earth) and some other primary divine beings: Eros (Love), the Abyss (the Tartarus), and the Erebus. Without male assistance, Gaia gave birth to Uranus (the Sky) who then fertilized her. From that union were born first the Titans—six males: Coeus, Crius, Cronus, Hyperion, Iapetus, andOceanus; and six females: Mnemosyne, Phoebe, Rhea, Theia, Themis, and Tethys. After Cronus was born, Gaia and Uranus decreed no more Titans were to be born. They were followed by the one-eyed Cyclopes and the Hecatonchires or Hundred-Handed Ones, who were both thrown into Tartarus by Uranus. This made Gaia furious. Cronus ("the wily, youngest and most terrible of Gaia's children"), was convinced by Gaia to castrate his father. He did this, and became the ruler of the Titans with his sister-wife Rhea as his consort, and the other Titans became his court.
10. What are some of the lessons of the Adam and Eve story? There is God God is good and everything God created is good Everything was created for a purpose God cares about us Human beings are God’s children Human beings are created in God’s image The world is created for us to look after Time is linear Equality of masculinity and femininity Freewill and responsibility Evil is a mistake Restoration is possible
11. Why did God create the universe and me?
12. What kind of being? God created man in His image and likeness: male and female He created them. Genesis 1:26 Why? To have a being with whom He could relate as His object. A being with whom he could share his heart, mind, love and everything and that would be able to receive what he wanted to give and reciprocate
13. How can we become ‘like God? “Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.” Ephesians 5:1
Stephen Hawkins says at the end of “A Brief History of Time ” that if we were to understand the total theory of everything, we would know the mind of God. I said that Stephen Hawkins, great scientist, might be less than great as a theologian and that I preferred the much more profound remark of an American Jewish mother a few years after the births of her children. She said, “Now I find I can relate to the Almighty much better, because now I know what it is to create something that you can’t control.”
Actually I think that is a very profound theological statement. It is quite clear, and this language deeply shoots through the Bible, that when the Almighty creates the universe, He is not acting as a scientist experimenting in a laboratory. He is doing so as a parent creating new life out of love.
14. What is God like? Heart Intellect, emotion, will Logos Reason and law Ethics - relationships of ordered love Four Great Realms of Heart Creativity To become like God, God gave human beings the Three Great Blessings
Allah who is Compassionate and Merciful.
Aristotle - Someone who does live according to virtue, who chooses to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do, is living a life that flourishes; to borrow a phrase, they are being all that they can be by using all of their human capacities to their fullest. The most important of these capacities is logos - a word that means "speech" and also means "reason" (it gives us the English word "logic"). Human beings alone have the ability to speak, and Aristotle says that we have been given that ability by nature so that we can speak and reason with each other to discover what is right and wrong, what is good and bad, and what is just and unjust.
15. The three great blessings And God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it.” Genesis 1:28 God Heart Logos Fruitful Dominion Creativity Multiply Human
And God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it.”
17. 2. The Fall and corruption of human relationships
18. How did we get into this state? Adam Eve Serpent Fruit Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil Tree of Life
19. What should have happened? Adam and Eve should have achieved individual maturity – the First Blessing Then God would have blessed them in divine marriage – the Second Blessing They would have had children and established a happy family
The happiest day for God would have been seeing his children happily married and having a happy family
20. And what should Lucifer have done? Angels Universe Lucifer Angels Universe Angels Universe Adam & Eve Children of God Lord of creation Closest to God Servant of God God God God LuciferLucifer Adam & Eve
21. Why did the fall take place?
22. How did it all start? Lucifer was the channel of God's love to the angelic world. In this position he virtually monopolized the love of God. God loved his children much more than he loved his servant Lucifer. God’s love for Lucifer did not change. It was the same before and after the creation of human beings. When Lucifer saw that God loved Adam and Eve more than him, he felt as if there had been a decrease in the love he received from God. EDP, 63
The fundamental motivation which engendered these primary characteristics of the
fallen nature lay in the envy the Archangel felt toward Adam, the beloved of God. How
can there be anything such as envy and jealousy in an archangel, whom God created
for a good purpose? The Archangel was endowed with desire and intellect as a part of
his original nature. Because the Archangel possessed an intellect, he could compare
and discern that God's love for human beings was greater than the love God gave to
him. Because he also possessed desires, he had a natural yearning for God to love him
more. This desire of the heart was naturally conducive to envy and jealousy. Envy is
an inevitable by-product of the original nature, like the shadow cast by an object in
23. What was the motivation for the fall? Lucifer, feeling as though he was receiving less love than he deserved, wanted to grasp the same central position in human society as he enjoyed in the angelic world, as the channel of God’s love. This was why he seduced Eve and this was the motivation of the spiritual fall. EDP, 64
Lucifer was channel of God’s love to angelic world. He was closer to God than any other being as he was the most like God.
After God created A&E as his children he loved them many times more than he loved Lucifer. Whom he created and loved as his servant. A&E more like God than Lucifer so had a greater capacity to receive God’s love. God’s love to Lucifer didn’t change.
Parable of labourers in Vinneyard. Mt 20:1-15
Lucifer wanted a lineage
After she ate the fruit Eve realised that she had sinned and felt guilty and cut off from God. Her eyes had been opened – she had lost her innocence. She realised that Adam was supposed to be her husband and not Lucifer.
24. How did the fall start? Lucifer Closest to God God Adam Eve Felt less love Jealousy Wanted to rule humans The fundamental motivation . . . lay in the envy the Archangel felt towards Adam, the beloved of God. EDP, 72
25. Lucifer tempts Eve Lucifer Desire for unprincipled love God Adam EveWanted to experience love before time was ripe When Eve responded to his temptation, the angel felt the stimulation of her love to be deliciously enticing. EDP, 64 Felt less love Wanted to rule humans
26. Freedom and the law STOP Loss of freedom Prescriptive law Descriptive law Since Eve’s heart and intellect were still immature when she was tempted by the angel, she became confused emotionally and intellectually. Although the freedom of her original mind induced in hear a sense of foreboding, she crossed the boundary and fell. EDP, 75
Freedom and restoration. Original mind seeks for freedom - freedom to be good, be repsonsibilnsiblee
Descriptive law - gravity
Prescriptive law - ‘do not’
27. How would the commandment work? Prayer is the education of desire LuciferEve God No unprincipled relationship possible No matter how freely Eve related to the angel, if she had maintained faith in the commandment and not responded to the temptation, then the power of unprincipled love would not have been generated and she would not have fallen. EDP, 75
28. Fall between Lucifer and Eve • Eve was traumatised by her relationship with Lucifer – Sexually, emotionally, psychologically abused – Sense of worthlessness and being needy – Wanting to be loved Loss of innocence
29. Adam and Eve
30. Eve tempts Adam Lucifer Rid herself of guilt and stand before God God Adam Eve Eve very needy. Vulnerable. Hurt. Abused. Wanted to be comforted and loved. Wanted To receive love and comfort from Adam who she realised should be her spouse
31. Results of the second fall Lucifer Fear Guilt Premature knowledge God Adam Eve
32. What were the consequences of the fall?
33. Mind Body Conflicted Person Object Subject Satan Loss of the first blessing Conflict between spirit and flesh People born with original sin “You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires.” John 8:44 Contradictory nature Good inclination vs evil inclination Confused identity Addiction Greed Laziness Lust Dishonesty
34. Man Woman Children Satan “I will greatly multiply your pain in child- bearing; in pain you shall bring forth children, yet your desire shall be for your husband and he shall rule over you.” Genesis 3:16 Unfaithfulness Abuse Tyranny Violence Loss of the second blessing
35. Poor Environ- ment Natural World Person Satan Loss of the third blessing “Cursed is the ground because of you; in toil you shall eat of it all the days of your life; thorns and thistles it shall bring forth to you.” Genesis 3:17-19 Materialism Consumerism Environmental degradation
36. What happened at the fall? Eve was traumatised by her relationship with Lucifer Sexually, emotionally, psychologically abused Sense of worthlessness and being needy Wanting to be loved Adam was damaged by his relationship with Eve Inherited the archangelic nature Weak and hard to respect
Give and take of love -> exchange of elements.
And yes, William Haines, I believe that the "original sin" could be renamed "original trauma". I found, in my work as an Emotion Code practitioner that, with women esp., the negative trapped emotion of worthlessness is found over and over and over. One day, i had an epiphany. I felt that this goes way back, all the way back to Eve. This has been transmitted for generations and many women , as in Arabic cultures, still pay the price just for 'being a woman. not just emotionally but by physical limitations/even abuse'.
It is really time to restore all that, the suffering has gone on way to long. It is time, for women and for men to reclaim their original status as loved and loving children of God. But the work needs to be done by each individual to consciously drop what no longer serves them which is the shame and guilt and feelings of lack of value that are all residues from the original ancestral trauma.
Isn't that what is called "being reborn" in Christianity?
37. What happened at the fall? All the relationships of the Four Great Realms of Heart were corrupted and distorted Man – woman Husband – wife Parents – children Sibling – sibling Restoration is putting all these relationships right
38. What needs to be restored? Relationship between Archangel and Adam Adam needs to win the respect of the AA to become the Lord of creation Abel, in the position of Adam, needs to restore the birthright by winning the respect of Cain, in the position of the AA, and become the elder brother, head of the family This takes many attempts
39. What needs to be restored? Relationship between Archangel and Eve Men have inherited the archangelic nature to want to control and possess and have sexual relationships with women for their own pleasure and gratification. Lust, not love Droit du seigneur – ‘lord’s right’ Sexual harassment and worse Women have inherited the tendency to be seduced by a powerful men
40. What needs to be restored? Relationship between Adam and Eve Man needs the respect of his wife Man needs to love his wife Become a good subject Woman needs the love of her husband Woman needs to respect her husband Become a good object
41. What needs to be restored? The relationship between parents and children Parents need to love and take care of their children Children need to honour their parents
42. 3. Indemnity and restoration If the function of the conscience were absent in fallen people, God’s providence of restoration would be impossible. EDP. 36
43. Restoration through indemnity To restore something one must make the necessary effort or pay the due price Indemnity is the process of restoring the original position An indemnity condition is what has to be done to restore something to its original position or state An indemnity condition is a reversal of the process which led to the loss of the original position or state
To recover lost position or reputation or health make necessary effort or pay the price
To bring about reconciliation have to do appropriate things
e.g. you break someone’s vase -> problem in relationship. To restore relationship have to apologise. If that’s not enough have to repair vase. If that’s not enough have to replace it. If too expensive to replace? Do something with sincere repentant heart.
Indemnity what ever needs to be done to restore something to the way it was before something went wrong
Lesser indemnity - apologise, forgiveness, don’t worry, its all right,
Greater indemnity - pay fine, parking, court, state satan, stick in time saves 9
Principle of justice – eye for an eye -> satisfies desire for justice.
Indmenity is not suffering. Indemnity is not makijng mistakes but correcting the, indmnity is not repeating errors of history but doing whjat is necessary to not repeat. Indemnity is not stupidity.
44. What is restoration? Restoration occurs when you find yourself in a similar position to Adam, Eve, the archangel, Cain or Abel etc. And you have to face the same temptation to make the same mistake that they did and continue the pattern of fallen history But you choose not to do so and instead of acting out of your fallen nature you act according to your original nature and follow your conscience. You break the cycle of abuse and pattern of fallen history
45. Stories of restoration Adam – Eve – Lucifer Abraham – Sarah - Pharaoh Lucifer – Adam Cain and Abel Esau and Jacob Joseph and his brothers Parent – child Noah - Ham Abraham and Isaac Rebecca and Jacob Husband and wife Isaac and Rebecca Sister – sister Sarah and Hagar Rachel and Leah
46. What should have happened?
47. The two conditions For Adam and Eve to realize the purpose of creation, they were supposed to fulfill two conditions. First, Adam and Eve should have established the foundation of faith. The second condition which Adam and Eve were supposed to fulfill in order to realize the purpose of creation was to establish the foundation of substance. After Adam and Eve established an unshakable foundation of faith, they were then to become one with God, thereby establishing the foundation of substance. This means they would have become the perfect incarnation of the Word with perfect character, fulfilling God’s first blessing.
48. Adam and Eve should have kept God’s commandment God Word Adam Eve Archangel Creation Vertical The commandment was to protect Adam and Eve Maintained their sexual purity Developed their spiritual life Followed their conscience Foundation of faith
Faith is the confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person, concept or thing.
Adam and eve should have had faith in the commandment God gave them and obeyed it. They thus would have resisted any temptation from the AA.
49. Foundation of faith Word Adam Eve Archangel Creation Vertical What is faith? Confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person or concept Faith is the art of holding onto things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods. Mere Christianity C.S. Lewis
You know sex before marriage is wrong BUT you feel like doing it
Adam and eve should have had faith in the commandment God gave them and obeyed it. They thus would have resisted any temptation from the AA.
To understand the true meaning of sacrifices in temple times, we first need to consider the Hebrew word for sacrifice, korban, coming from the root, kuph reysh vet, meaning to be or to draw near. From this we begin to develop a deeper insight into what sacrifices truly were, a means of connecting people and the Infinite. For our more distant ancestors, sacrifices were not a loss, but the opposite. They were an act to gain a closer relationship with God, to solicit God’s favour, and it was this intention behind them that made them meaningful when the Temple still stood. 50. Adam and Eve should have reached maturity Lord of Creation Proper order in the created world Horizontal God Word Word Foundation of substance
Beyond just having faith in God’s Word A&E should have come to embody the word. They should have become the substantiation or incarnation of the word just as Jesus later became. Thus Jesus could say, “I am the way, the truth and the life.” They should have reached perfection. If they did, God would have dwelled in them. Then Lucifer would have respected a mature and perfect A&E because they would have stood as God before him and from them he would have received God’s love and truth and guidance. Lucifer would have loved Adam and Eve in the right way and served them. Thus the proper order would have been established and goodness would have been multiplied.
Formed by the word. Conform oneself to the word
51. First blessing - be fruitful Mind Body True Person The ability to create and complete our character “You are the temple of God and God’s spirit dwells in you.” 1 Corinthians 3:16 Sensitivity to the Heart of God Subject We create our character through our thoughts, words and deeds Keep promises Unity of mind and body Words and deeds are one Joy “Be complete as your heavenly Father is complete.” Matthew 5:48 Object Fulfill potential God Whole hearted Meditation Virtuous
Mind body unity
1. Be Fruitful – the ability to perfect our character. This involves achieving mind-body unity so that God can be present in this unity. The most important aspect of this is to develop a sensitivity to the heart of God. By fulfilling the 1st blessing a person would become the incarnation of God, feeling how God feels, thinking as God thinks and acting as God would act etc. Here we have the basis of human rights as each person is a child of God, conscience, personal ethics etc.
Taqwa, God consciousness
Sport, snooker, games,
The Heart of the Buddha’s Teaching, a book by a man I’d never heard of, Thich Nhat Hanh. There was a quote on the jacket: “Thich Nhat Hanh is a holy man, for he is humble and devout. He is a scholar of immense intellectual capacity.” Those words were written by Martin Luther King, nominating Nhat Hanh, a monk from Vietnam, for the Nobel Peace Prize more than 40 years ago. It could hardly hurt to try his book.
So I did, and I was blown away by the simplicity of what Nhat Hanh wrote, urging readers gently and warmly to enjoy the here and now. The secret was to approach all of life much like meditation, including the bits that we think of as boring or unpleasant. “Every act is a rite,” he says at one point. “While washing the dishes one should be completely aware that one is washing the dishes. At first glance, that might seem a little silly: why put so much stress on a simple thing? But that’s precisely the point. If while washing dishes we think only of the cup of tea that awaits us, thus hurrying to get the dishes out of the way as if they were a nuisance, we are not ‘washing the dishes to wash the dishes’. What’s more we are not alive during the time we are washing the dishes. In fact, we are completely incapable of realising the miracle of life while standing at the sink.
“If we can’t wash the dishes, the chances are we won’t be able to drink our tea either. While drinking the cup of tea, we will only be thinking of other things, barely aware of the cup in our hands. Thus we are sucked away into the future — and incapable of actually living one minute of life.”
52. No foundation of faith or substance established God Word Adam Eve Archangel Creation Lost faith in God’s Word Didn’t keep commandment Dominated by Archangel Developed Fallen Nature
The AA couldn’t respect and love A&E from God’s point of view. He didn’t think they deserved respect and didn’t think they were qualified to be Lords of Creation and certainly not his Lord. So he decided to see if he could gain control over them. He drew Eve towards himself and tempted her to eat the fruit. Eve lost faith in God’s commandment when she couldn’t answer the AA questions. She turned away from God and became self-centred. She allowed the AA to dominate her. Then she tempted Adam to eat the fruit and instead of resisting her he gave in to her and allowed her to dominate him. So instead of perfecting themselves A&E developed fallen nature – self-centred instead of God centred.
53. How is the foundation of faith restored? Central figure Me Object or gift/offering Foundation to restore creation - e.g. gift Restore oneself symbolically Tithing, reading, prayer, bows etc. - consistent Time period The foundation of faith is restored by making an acceptable symbolic offering EDP, 195 Moses and the fox Decides ownership Condition to stand as central person in foundation of substance
In offering a thing I am offering myself to God. Can be done on a desert island. Not confronted with FN.
First, there must be a central figure. From the time Adam failed to establish the foundation of faith, God has been looking for central figures who could restore the lost foundation of faith. God had Cain and Abel offer sacrifices for this purpose. Likewise, God called men such as Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, the kings and John the Baptist for the purpose of raising them up as central figures.
Second, an object for the condition must be offered. When Adam lost faith in God, he lost the Word of God which had been given him for the fulfillment of the condition to establish the foundation of faith. As a result, fallen people could no longer directly receive the Word of God to restore the foundation of faith. It then became necessary to offer objects for the condition as substitutes for the Word. Human beings were degraded by the Fall to a status lower than the things of creation, as it is written, "the heart is deceitful above all things." 8(Jer. 17:9)CEV|KJ|NI Hence, in the age prior to the giving of the Old Testament, people could establish the foundation of faith by offering a sacrifice or its equivalent, such as the ark, procured from the natural world. Thus, the foundation of faith also functioned as the foundation to restore all things, which had been defiled by Satan. In the Old Testament Age, either the Word as revealed in the Law of Moses or representatives of the Word - such as the Ark of the Covenant, the Temple and various central figures - served as objects for the condition, substituting for the original Word. In the New Testament Age, the Word as revealed in the Gospels and Jesus, the incarnation of the Word, were the objects for the condition. From the standpoint of human beings, these objects for the condition were offered for the purpose of establishing the foundation of faith. From God's perspective, the offering of objects for the condition would secure God's ownership of the dispensation.
Third, a numerical period of indemnity must be completed. To accomplish a task need to have deadline. If no deadline failure.
Restoring self symbolically – right frame of mind to do substantial