Best of the Batch Foundation, announces the 2013 Best of the Batch Foundation Scholarship Awards Program. Under the Program, thirteen (13) scholarships will be awarded to seniors attending a high school in a Pittsburgh, PA and surrounding cities and all WPIAL school (for scholar athletes award) served by Best of the Batch Foundation.
Operation Dough Nation (by Panera Bread): Two (2) $5,000 scholarships are available for senior student-athletes attending high schools in the WPIAL district.
Dignity and Respect Champion: Eight (8) $1,000 book scholarships are available seniors attending high schools
Danyl SettlesDanyl Settles: Two (2) $2,500 scholarships are available in Steel Valley any high school in Allegheny County.
Best of the Batch: One (1) $10,000 scholarships are available in Allegheny County for seniors attending any high school in Allegheny County.
Oh the Places You’ll Go: One (1) $5,432.10 scholarship, inspired by Dr. Seuss's "Oh, the Places You'll Go."
Program Guidelines & Priorities:
* Seeking graduating seniors with a record of volunteerism in the community in non-school sponsored activities and participation in extracurricular school activities.
* Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0, a total family annual income under $75,000, and plan to attend a 4 year college.
* Scholarship funds will be paid in June 2013 for the student’s first yeardirectly to the college and not to the student. It will be the student’s responsibility to submit to the Foundation at that time an invoice for second semester tuition and fees, student ID number and college information.
* Best of the Batch Foundation will accept only 5 applications per high school. Applicants must have the endorsement of their Guidance Counselor on their application attesting they are a qualified fit for this scholarship program. Best of the Batch Foundation strongly suggests that each high school present this opportunity to five (5) of the strongest applicants that match this program’s guidelines. Application deadline is April 1, 2013by 5:00 p.m. Mail one copy of a completed typed application package to: Foundation Scholarship Committee
(This includes application with signoff by Guidance Department, essay,resume, c/ o Best of the BatchFoundation
peer recommendation (1) teacher recommendation and school transcript.)2000 West St
Munhall, PA 15120
The applications will be reviewed and recipients selected by a committee consisting of educators board members and staff. The scholarships will be awarded in June 2013.
Applications may be downloaded from the Best of the Batch Foundation website at www.batchfoundation.org/scholarships
Best of the BAtch FOundation
Scholarship APPLICATION 2013
Please type your answers.
City: State: Zip:
Daytime Telephone Number: ( )
Date of Birth: Month Day Year Gender:
Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA): __________ (On a 4.0 scale)
Attach proof of GPA. Your most recent school transcript is required.
Are you the first person in your family to go to college: YES ___ NO ____
Name and location of High School attending:
WPIAL Varsity Sport:
(If your resume or activities sheet answers question 8, please attach and skip to Question 9.)
B. List your hobbies, outside interests, extracurricular activities and school related volunteer activities:
C. List your non-school sponsored volunteer activities in the community:
A. If you have decided on what college you will attend, please list school name:
B. If not, list your top 3 college choices:
List Family Gross Annual Income from your 2012 Income Tax Form 1040 Line #22: $
(If selected, recipients will need to verify annual household income is under $75,000 by supplying pg. 1 of their 2011 IRS Income Tax Form)
Is your parent or legal guardian an employee /board member/committee member? Yes______ No_______
If your answer is ‘yes’ please answer blocks A, B, C below. If your answer is ‘no’ go to item 13.)
His/her full name:
Name & address of parent(s) or legal guardian(s):
(Include address if different than your own listed in Question 2.)
City: State: Zip:
Home phone of parents or legal guardians: Work phone:
14. On a separate sheet please write an essay (250 - 500 words) answering the questions below: Describe how volunteer or community service has shaped who you are today and what community service has taught you. Also, discuss in your essay about any challenges or obstacles you have dealt with and overcome in life and how this will help you succeed in college and beyond.
STATEMENT OF ACCURACY FOR STUDENTS
I hereby affirm that all the above stated information provided by me is true and correct to the best of my knowledge. I also consent that if chosen as a scholarship winner my picture may be taken and used to promote the Foundation’s scholarship program. (Winner may waive photo due to unusual or compelling circumstances.)
I hereby understand that if chosen as a scholarship winner, according to Best of the Batch Foundation Scholarship policy, I must be present at any potential awards ceremony or reception in June 2013 to receive my scholarship award.
I hereby understand that if chosen as a scholarship winner, according to Best of the Batch Foundation Scholarship policy, it is my responsibility to remit to the Foundation the appropriate information for my scholarship to be paid directly to my educational institution.
I hereby understand I will not submit this application without all required attachments and supporting information. Incomplete applications or applications that do not meet eligibility criteria will not be considered for this scholarship.
Signature of scholarship applicant: ___________________________________ Date: ___________________
STATEMENT OF SUPPORT BY GUIDANCE COUNSELOR I hereby affirm that this application meets the criteria set forth by this scholarship program and that I support this application to Best of the Batch Foundation.
Name of Guidance Counselor submitting the application: ________________________________________________
High School: ___________________________________________________________________________________
Contact information (email and phone):_______________________________________________________________
Signature of Guidance Counselor: ____________________________________ Date: _________________ Checklist